Soroptimist International of Redding is proud to have served the Redding community for the past 69 years by participating in programs which benefit our local communities.
Soroptimist is an international women’s organization for business and professional women who work to improve the lives of women and girls, in local communities and throughout the world. Almost 100,000 Soroptimists in about 124 countries and territories contribute time and financial support to community–based and international projects that benefit women and girls.
Soroptimist’s major project is the Live Your Dreams Awards, which help women who provide the primary source of financial support for their families by giving them the resources they need to improve their education, skills, and employment prospects.
Soroptimist also sponsors the Live Your Dream campaign, which encourages all women to live their dreams while helping others to do the same. Visit the campaign’s online home at LiveYourDreamCampaign.org.
Here are just a few of our many community service projects:
- Funded construction of the Senior Citizen’s Building on Benton Drive
- Established the Shasta County Secret Witness Program
- Annually hosts the Breast Cancer Awareness Luncheon that funds screenings for uninsured or underinsured women (and men) who cannot otherwise afford the testing. SIR has funded over 600 mammograms since starting this program
- Annually hosts the Annual Pioneer Luncheon at the Shasta County Fairgrounds held annually in June to honor Shasta County pioneers who are at least 65 years of age and have lived in Shasta County for at least 50 years
- Funded amenities for completion of the soccer fields and Fantasy Fountain at Enterprise Community Park in excess of $30,000
- Funded the Shasta County “New Library Now” initiative in the amount of $15,000
- Furnished a room at the Shasta Regional Medical Center Kiwanis House in the amount of $10,000
- Funded Exam rooms at Shasta Community Health Center in the amount of $10,000
- Award annual cash funds for disadvantaged youth who are recognized by their teachers for excellence in overcoming adverse life situations
- Awards for head of household women who are trying to improve their lives through continued education
- Funding the Riverfront Playhouse Capital Campaign in the amount of $6,000
- Contributes annually to Make-A-Wish, Wings of Angels, Girls Inc. and Sober Grad
- Start up and funding for Shasta Family Justice Center(now called One Safe Place) in the amount of $3,000 over three years. Donating $15,000 to be awarded over 5 year period.
- Start up and funding for CASA in the amount of $3,000 over three years
- WalMart project. Collecting and distributing items donated by WalMart to local programs.
- Contributed to the Veteran’s Memorial Chapel at the Veteran’s Cemetery in the amount of $3,000